Thursday, June 6, 2013

Homemade Vapor Rub



As I've said before, coconut oil is sort of an obsession with me.  Its great for your hair, skin, and nails.  We use it as an every day lotion, but it really comes in handy when cold season hits.

Growing up, I can remember my mom slathering me in Vick's VapoRub.  It's one of my favorite things when I'm feeling under the weather, but taking a look at the ingredients put a stop to its use.  I no longer like using petroleum based products, which lead me in search of a natural alternative.

And what do you know?  I discovered yet another use for my beloved coconut oil!

The stuff is amazing, I tell you!
 
Homemade Vapor Rub
 
What you'll need:
2 Tablespoons coconut oil
Eucalyptus or peppermint essential oil
small plastic container with a lid

What to do:
1.  Add the coconut oil to your plastic container.
2.  Add 5-7 drops of your essential oil and stir together.  If it isn't strong enough to your liking, add more essential oil in 2 drop increments until you reach the desired strength.
3.  Once it's all mixed up, slather it on your chest* (and feet, if you're like me!) and inhale as you drift into a restful sleep!* When using for babies and children, use half the amount of essential oil, or dilute already made Vapor Rub with more coconut oil before application.



 
To Make Homemade Whipped Vapor Rub, follow the recipe for Whipped Coconut Oil, adding your either eucalyptus or peppermint essential oil into the bowl before whisking.
 

No comments: