Thursday, August 7, 2014

Circle Time



I love how our "circle time" starts our school day off.  It gets the kids into learning mode in a gently way, and I am able to knock out some of our books that we are reading together.  I love that we will be able to do part of our learning together before breaking apart to do age appropriate work. 

I had read numerous blogs about what they were doing for their "circle time", but none of them seemed to be exactly what I was wanting our morning to look like.  Then, I stumbled upon The Unlikely Homeschool.  This seemed to be just what I was looking for! Instead of the traditional circle time we think of with preschool, her family uses a "Start the Day Together Basket". 

I immediately fell in love with the ideas presented in her post, and went to work putting our own version of the basket together.   This is also where we keep the book basket books pertaining to the weeks topic.  I love that I have everything that I need for starting our day all in one convenient, portable place.

What does circle time look like for our family?

  • I usually begin with a few songs. 
    These include hymns/worship songs, learning song, and game songs. 
  • Following singing, we work on our memory work.This includes our verse for the homeschool year as well as the Proverbs we will be learning each week.
  • We then read out of our devotional or bible storybook.
  • Next, I read aloud from one of our read-alouds.This includes folk tales, fairy tales, poetry
  • Then, we read a book about our science topic.On Mondays, we read from the Usborne Science books from MFW.  The rest of the days, we read various books about the topic from the MFW "book basket" suggestions and others we find.
  • Finally, I go over any instructions needed for the day.

 
So, what exactly is in our Start the Day Together Basket?


Every week the contents of our basket change a bit since we are using this as our book basket as well.  I include books on topics we will be covering and some pertinent flashcards as well if we have them.  Even so, a few things remain in the basket.



As the kids grow, I'm planning on adding composer and artist studies along with map work in the mornings.  For now, this is just enough for a 6 year old, 4 year old, and 2 year old to handle.


 
 
Does your family have a circle time to start the day?  What all do you include during this time?

I linked this post to
Hip Homeschool Moms






No comments: