Saturday, August 9, 2014

Small Space Homeschooling Pt. 1: Workbox system

I keep seeing all of these pictures of other families beautiful homeschool rooms, and I begin to daydream about all that I would do if I had an extra room to put all of our homeshooling stuff in.
 
We recently moved to a new state and are temporarily living in an apartment for at least the next year.  Since we have a lot less space in our new place, I've had to adjust how and where I'm storing stuff. 
 
First of all, I have our portable workbox system.  I'd love to have a cart to use for workboxes, but it just isn't possible with the limited space we're working with right now.  Instead, I use this Sterilite container with latchable lid.





Our Workbox contains:

  • My Teachers Manual
  • Student workbook
  • A Spiral
  • Daily folders for Squirrely Girl and Miss Bear (10 total)
  • Our current lapbook
  • 2 Clipboards
  • Games for the week
  • Manipulatives for the week




Daily Folders and Clip Boards:

We use daily folder in lieu of the workboxes due to space issues.  Each of my girls has a daily folder plus a clipboard that they use every day. 


 Here is an example of what I put in Bear's daily folder.  In one side she has her math sheet's for the day.  On the other side she has her handwriting work and a stack of flashcards what she'll be using to play a game that day. 

Usually math goes in the left pocket, and science stuff goes in the right hand one



 

Here's an example of Squirrely Girls Monday folder.  Since we do our science reading on Mondays, we usually don't have any work in the folder for that.  On the right is her four square card as well as her math worksheet.

The Expanded Form cards are in the right hand pocket.



 





I place any handwriting and Language Arts worksheets onto their clipboard the night before, and set it along with their daily folder onto the table so that it's ready for the next day.





 I usually reload the workbox and daily folders Friday evenings so that its ready for Monday morning.  This helps streamline our day.  Pretty much everything we need for our week is in one convenient place, so I'm not running around gathering things like a chicken with it's head cut off.




How do you organize your homeschool day?  I'd love to hear about how you make your day easier down in the comments!



 


 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments: